The Festival cinéma du monde de Sherbrooke is embedding sustainability in its organizational culture. This comes from a fervent desire to play an active part in society, minimize its ecological footprint and contribute to the local economy.
The Festival cinéma du monde de Sherbrooke is committed to:
- Raising awareness and encouraging eco-friendly behaviour throughout the duration of the festival
- Being open and transparent about its own actions and behaviours
- Ensuring that its actions and decisions are compliant to current laws and regulations
- Management of residual waste: Based on the principle of the 4R’s (rethink, reduce, reuse, recycle), we will seek to implement initiatives that promote best practice in terms of management of residual waste.
- Visitors’ and participants’ mobility: We will raise awareness of public transport and carpooling as well as ensure that our guests’ accommodation is close to the town-centre. Since the festival takes place in the town-centre, we will encourage our festivalgoers to visit our local shops and restaurants.
- Communication tools: We prioritize e-tools, recto/verso printing, FSC-certified products, internet marketing and social media.
- We strive to raise awareness of the advantages of leading environmentally friendly lifestyles and screen films that focus on sustainable development, the protection of the environment and ecology.
- Responsible employer: We promote harmonious relationships in the workplace, offer a clean and safe work environment and have fair and equitable hiring practices and working conditions.
- We want to develop a number of special events and activities with a variety of local organizations that will target specific audiences. These could be university debates, youth programs as well as other activities done in partnership with the community.
- Our volunteers: We want to develop different volunteer committees and encourage the local community to take an active part in the festival.
- Regional socio-economic impact: We are busy developing strategic partnerships with Commerce Sherbrooke and the Associations des gens d’affaires du Centre-ville de Sherbrooke.
- Sustainable procurement: We encourage our local economy and reduce the environmental impact associated with long-distance transportation by choosing local suppliers.